When someone you love is experiencing infertility or having other family building challenges
First ask: Are you the person to be helping?
Many people have very good intentions and care, but infertility is personal and you may or may not be the one that is best suited to provide support. Check out this article to help you determine if talking with someone about the topic is appropriate.
Looking for ideas of what to offer?
- Call insurance – they sometimes cover more than they let on. Keep asking.
- Let them know about support programs
- Send a text or email that simply says – thinking of you
- Offer a distraction
- Do they want company to an appointment? Offer to take them (and bring a book to wait outside if need be).
- Send an email: “Ultimately this is about you and what is best for you. I can’t make decisions for you or give advice. But I’m happy to help you sort through your options based on your priorities. I am always here to listen. I want you to feel and know that you are not alone.”
See this public service message from recipients of words from people didn’t take this advice…