President & CEO, Bay Area Jewish Healing Center
Rabbi Eric Weiss was born and raised in Los Angeles, California. He attended the University of California at Santa Cruz where he received a B.A. in Biology and Judaic Studies with honors. He lived in San Francisco and worked in law offices before he entered rabbinic school at Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion. He holds a Masters degree in Hebrew Letters and was ordained in 1989.
In addition to his rabbinic seminary work, he is formally trained in Jewish education, clinical pastoral care and spiritual direction. He is a spiritual direction supervisor. He is a co-founder of “Grief & Growing: A Healing Weekend for Individuals and Families.” This weekend is co-sponsored by Sinai Memorial Chapel and the JewishLearningWorks. His writing has appeared in many publications. He has served on several boards among them the national board of the Central Conference of American rabbis (CCAR), the Reform movement’s national rabbinic body. Rabbi Weiss has taught extensively throughout the Bay Area, and has been featured in local and national media. He lives with his husband Dan in San Francisco.
- B.A. with honors in Biology/Judaic Studies, University of California at Santa Cruz
- Masters degree in Hebrew Letters, Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion, Los Angeles. Ordained in 1989, New York.
- Spiritual Director and Spiritual Direction Supervisor (trained at Mercy Center, Burlingame, CA)
- Formally training in Jewish Education and Clinical Chaplaincy
- Former Paralegal
Accomplishments & Publications
- Co-founder of “Grief & Growing: A Healing Weekend for Individuals and Families” and “Kol Haneshama End- of-Life Care Volunteer Program.”
- Former member of the Board of Directors of the Central Conference of American Rabbis (CCAR), the Reform movement’s national rabbinic body. CCAR Rabbinic Mentor (2006-2012).
- Chair and Editor of CCAR revision committee for the “Gates of Healing” prayerbook.
- Featured in national and local media including monthly host of CBS’s Mosaic
- Former Chair of Shalom Bayit Rabbinic Advisory Council and recipient of its prize.
- Consultant to Northern California Presbyterian Homes and Services’ Spirituality Initiative.
- Past President of the Board of Directors, Northern California Board of Rabbis
- Contributor to Rosh Hashanah Readings: Inspiration, Information, Contemplation, Edited by Rabbi Dove Peretz Elkins, Jewish Lights, 2006; Yom Kippur Readings: Inspiration, Information, Contemplation, Edited by Rabbi Dove Peretz Elkins, Jewish Lights, 2005; The World is a Narrow Bridge, Edited by Diane Arieff, 2004; Siddur Sha’ar Zahav, 2009; The Mitzvah of Healing, Edited by Hara E. Person, UAHC Press, 2003.